Surrey Golf

Surrey 1st Team win their league match against Hampshire

Fresh off two victories and success at the EGU qualifier the team was quietly confident and the form from the previous matches was evident during the Saturday practice round.

The following players were selected:

  • David Corben (Captain)
  • Harvey Byers
  • Charlie Crockett
  • Harry Crockett
  • Terry Nicholls
  • Ben Partridge
  • Aadam Syed
  • Harry Uzzell

Coombe Hill was presented in exemplary condition, and we must thank them for their excellent hospitality. As anyone who has played there knows, implementing the correct strategy is key and after some discussion the group agreed on a few strategic ideas which maybe our opponents, having not played the course regularly before, would overlook.

Aadam Syed and Terry Nicholls led the foursomes out and immediately the strategy difference was noted with Terry laying up down the first and Aadam pitching in close to go 1up. A superb iron shot to tap in range at the 9th by Terry sent Surrey 1up at the turn. The back nine would see birdies exchanged at 11, 13 and 14 with Surrey 1up heading down the 15th.

Charlie Crockett and Harvey Byers followed, again their opponents taking the aggressive play which would backfire with Surrey again going 1up through the first. The Surrey pair would go on to play exemplary golf going 4up through the fifth and at dormie 4up made a match winning birdie at the 15th after their drive found the ditch lining the fairway. 4 under through 15 holes in foursomes is exceptional and an early point on the board for Surrey.

Ben Partridge and Harry Crockett continued where they left off against Dorset. Again, Surrey played the first in opposite fashion to their opponents. Harry laid up with Ben then holing the pitch shot for an opening eagle to send them 1up! Their excellent play continued, resulting in a second 4&3 victory for Surrey to send us 2-0 to the good.

By this point Aadam and Terry were dormie 2up. A solid shot by Terry was followed by a pin seeker by Hampshire, a gimmie two and left Aadam with a thirty-footer to secure the win. He duly delivered to send Surrey 3-0 up with their 2&1 victory.

The final pair of David Corben and Harry Uzzell followed suit by laying back on the first and wedging close to get their noses ahead. With the match level through seven holes the turn would play critical to the outcome with the Hampshire pair struggling over the next three holes giving the Surrey team a 3up lead through the tenth. At the 15th Surrey had ten foot to add another point but with the putt coming up agonisingly on the lip they would have to head up (quite literally) the 16th. A solid par would result in a second successive clean sweep in foursomes following the Dorset match.

After lunch the team discussed the state of the match, strategy and how the objective was to win the afternoon singles. Aadam led off and immediately it was noticeable that our opponent’s strategy had changed with their first man, Tom Robson, being more circumspect with how he approached the hole. In a nip-tuck game Aadam would stick it close on the 9th and then back it up with a win at the 10th to go 3up. After a fightback from his opponent, he would eventually come out the victor winning at the last and extending his 100% record for the season.

Charlie Crockett followed and despite not giving his best performance ground out an important victory winning the last hole to win his match 2up. With his match finishing after match three this victory would send Surrey 7-0 up and secured the win.

Harvey Byers faced off against veteran Martin Young in what would be the match of the afternoon. After 12 holes Hampshire led 1up but a barrage of 4 birdies in 5 holes secured a 2&1 win for Surrey. Harvey was an impressive seven under for the round and we must compliment his opponent for his exemplary play as well.

Around this stage matches seemed to be finishing all over the place. Terry Nicholls unfortunately came up against some excellent play from his opponent Darren Wright and even some halfway refreshments couldn’t turn the tide with the Hampshire man winning the match and getting them on the scoreboard.

Harry Crockett and Ben Partridge continued where they left off in the morning both winning at the 14th to send the score to 9-1. Memorable shots included Ben driving the 360-yard 2nd hole with a 3-wood to get up and running.

Soon after Harry Uzzell completed his match with a serene 3&2 victory and suddenly only one match remained on the course with the captain, David Corben and his opponent Stuart Archibald somewhat behind having just reached the 14th. Players from both sides reappeared to watch as what has become custom when earlier matches are finished, but with the overall match well and truly over the usual grittiness of the anchor match wasn’t required. The result was an honourable half after Corben missed from around ten-foot for the win. The final score 10.5 – 1.5 in favour of Surrey.

We thank Coombe Hill for their hospitality as a team, thank John Noble, Jim Christine and Simon Crockett for their work behind the scenes, and David Primrose and Kieran Lovelock for their support on the day.

We thank Steve McNeill and the board for their continued support and former president David Basham for starting the afternoon matches.

The 1st team continues their season Sunday 7th August with their final league match vs Kent at Farnham Golf Club. A win or draw would guarantee the league for the third successive season. Spectators are more than welcome.

David Corben

1st Team Captain


Return to News Page

Created by intelligentgolf version 10.1.2.